Today was my first adventure in a bake sale! I never did do one as a kid (at least I don't remember so if I did, I am really sorry mom). Emma and Maddy have been dying to make some money and they weren't quite sure how to do it. First, Emma wrote up a super cute sign for everyone to come and get manicures and pedicures for a dollar, I told her that we were not good enough to charge for that. Second, she wanted to teach dance lessons to little girls, I told her sorry on that one too. Then she agreed to go to grandma's house and do work there for some money, but when she went there they ended up shopping, playing and sewing instead. Finally we came up with the idea to have a bake sale.
Today was really the only day we could do it so we had it today, despite the 113 degree weather. It worked out perfectly though because all of our little kids were gone at a little day camp so it was just the two girls at home. They stayed up till 10:30pm last night baking cookies, mini cupcakes and rice krispy treats (truth be told, Steph and I made everything, the girls played with Eli but they at least did do the rice krispy treats themselves). Our husbands thought we were crazy and that we should just give them the money and save us all this time and effort, but since they really wanted to work and we wanted to create a memory for them, we did it.

The next day we headed off to our prime bake selling corner of Gilbert and Ocotillo and set up camp there. We got there about 10:30am and opened for business at 11am. We had our first customers and they got the ball rolling for the girls right when we opened. The girls were pumped! We had someone loan us better shade than what we had, we had a friend bring us all drinks to keep us cool (who comes to a bake sale and brings you a treat and buys treats from you? Amazing!) We had so many great people from the ward come by and support our girls, we couldn't thank them enough! We even had half a dozen strangers pull over on the side of the road and purchase from them. It really meant a lot to us!


Maddy even came up with a little song in honor of the bake sale: "My hands are really sticky. but our bake sale is so pretty. I hope they aren't that picky because my hands are really sticky!"

When it was finally over (2 1/2 hours later) and we had packed it all up and counted all the monies, the girls couldn't have been more thrilled! They wanted enough money to go and have a girls day together before school started and they certainly earned that. Now their only problem is how to spend it :)
Even though it was really hot, I would gladly do this again. Emma learned that you have to work hard for your money, she gets to pay tithing for the first time and it really showed her how much everyone loves her and Maddy!
2 comments:
OH GEEZ oh PIZZA I totally forgot! I'm so sorry, now I feel really bad :( i'm so happy that they had a good time making money for fun stuff :)
I'm so proud of you! Go Emma and Maddy!! :)
Post a Comment