Tuesday, April 22, 2008

DAY FROM HELL!

The day from hell. Jury duty in downtown phoenix, need I say more?! well, since I am sitting here and bored to death waiting to be picked I am going to journal my thoughts.

The day didnt start out to bad. I had planned on leaving at 8:30am so I could make it downtown, park, catch a shuttle and be on time for my 10am time slot. I got
ready so fast I even had time to help Emma get ready for school and I still was in my car by 8:33am, excellent if I do say so myself. I am headed down McQueen to catch the 202 and I was enjoying my apple as I followed behind several cars all going the same speed as me. What happens next, well that's where the good day went downhill.

A freaking motor cop pulled me over, why did he pick me out of the crowd?! Was it because I was in the back of the pack, because I was the prettiest one out of the bunch or because he wanted some of my apple?! I pull over not really worried aobut anything because my odds for actually getting a ticket are 4 out of 13 (no lie, I am great at getting out of them). I hand him my stuff and he is looking like he is not going to be so cool so I give him my extra friendly smile and say "would it help if I am related to a chandler cop," well apparantly it doesnt cause after dropping a name, explaining how I am a good doobie cause I am going to jury duty, etc I still end up with the ticket. After he hands me the ticket he tells me "drive safe" and I let him know, "I will try but I have to drive fast to make it on time now." Next time the city wants me to vote in favor of upgrading cops equipment, I will have to rethink that one (just kidding).

So I make it on time to Jury duty, get checked into a full room with probably about 250 people, 50% being older men who I thought were supposed to be all full of old time charm and old school manners, I guess I was wrong. No one got up to give the pregnant lady a chair, was it because they didnt notice me or because they could care less and just wanted to make sure they had a chair or was it because jury duty had made everyone grumpy?! Finally, a nice young man gave me his seat, I was very grateful but now that I sit here and type I am not sure it was the best choice for me, the man sitting next to me talks to himself, lovely. I am sitting in a room with mostly people who are old enough to be my parents so seeing as how we are all older, can anyone tell me why the movie of choice on all the tvs is "Alvin and the Chipmunks", perhaps its because the 40 something lady behind me keeps cracking up out loud to the movie. Wow, this is going to be a long day.

Lunch time! yay, I have an hour and half to waste eating lunch, what in the crap am I going to do. Last time I had jury duty downtown my dad worked down here so he took
me to lunch at the Hyatt, now he is retired so I took myself to lunch at a combination Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, practically the same thing. Now, I know you all like pictures with your posts so here is a picture of my delicious lunch, its tempting all of you isnt it :)

After lunch at 1:30pm they finally call me into a courtroom, I must confess I am most excited because this means that as soon as I get released I am free to go home instead of sitting in the holding room until 5pm and I fully plan on getting released and not getting picked, I am thinking my pregnancy will get me out of it.
We go into the room and it is a criminal case against a man who shot at 2 cops, hmmm, even though I am totally bitter about my 61mph in a 45mph zone speeding ticket I still fully support cops and back them up. The judge explains about financial hardships and how the case will be at least 3 weeks long and asks if anyone has a problem with this, that's my cue, I raise my hand and explain I dont have any finanical problems but I am 31 weeks pregnant and next week I will measure full term so at any time I could go into labor or possibly bed rest or something along those lines so I didnt know about the 3 week time committment. He responded with a friendly, "thanks, we'll take that into consideration." Later he asks something and for the life of me I cant remember the exact question but myself and 1 other juror raised our hands and basically thats when my freaky pregnancy hormones kicked in. Sobbing (and I mean sobbing) I try to explain that "my brother and cousins are cops and I always side with them, support the cops, when cops get shot we donate money to help the surviving family members, etc so I would automatically side with the cop." Then he asked one more question and said after that we would break and he would dismiss any jurors not on the case, that's when about 15 other hands went up all saying, um ya, my friend is a cop and I take their sides too. Losers, trying to ride in on my crying coatails :) 3:30pm rolls around and I am dismissed from court, hallelujah.

Does the day stop there? Do I get to go home and enjoy my family or sit on my butt, nope. I head straight over to Emma's school so that I can attend a 2 hour meeting about how to be a Junior Achievment volunteer with Jared in the classroom for a whole day, lucky me, totally being sarcastic.

It is now 7:30pm, sorry this post was so long and boring, but now I am going to go and clean up the kitchen and go to the grocery store, I cant wait for tomorrow to come!

COST OF THE DAY:
Money earned to drive downtown and waste 8 hours - $11.00
Cost of a delicious lunch from Taco Bell - $3.65
Cost to drive to and from the courthouse - $12.92
Cost of 8 hours spent wasted at traffic school next week - $135.00
Price for all of you to read this boring blog - $priceless

21 comments:

Gramma J said...

This was very funny and entertaining to read, Carol. Sorry it was such a bad day; I've been to jury duty and can empathize, but going being 7-1/2 months pregnant!? I love the picture of the food . . . added a nice touch.

Melinda said...

I'm sorry you had such a junky day, but thanks for sharing because it was halarious! Hope you don't have to do that for a really long time!! Melinda~

The Ashlocks said...

That story is too funny!! You would think they would have dismissed you right away given your current state! Sorry about the ticket!!

Priceless Heritage said...

Oh man I would have sent back the postcard with skip me I'm prego. I've really done that before. Sorry it went so terrible- Time for another spa day!

Hadley Family Clan! said...

Talk about some crappy luck! The deal is that I start reading your story and don't realize how long it is and it's because it is so interesting that when I finished I thought....I won't even read a page in a book this long:) yet I read your story. What a butt of a judge too...hello your pregnant and at least you showed up and what a nice expensive trip just downtown.

Jen H. said...

That was so funny! What a day!

Anonymous said...

First off, you deserve the ticket alone for dropping the fact that you know a cop...yea like he never heard that one. Secondly, what are you thinking going 61 in a 45!!!

Besides that the rest of your day really did suck. You should have never went in the first place and just returned the request saying that you were expecting any day now.

Missy said...

Ok...first thing...every time I got summoned I was in 3rd Trimester Pregnant...I postponed it about 4 times. YOU ARE HAVING TWINS...POSTPONE! So, I was summoned to go to Jury Duty on April 10 and I called the day before and my group got released...after reading your post...I AM SO GLAD...crappy day for you, but you are sooo hilarious.

2nd...my bro is a Chandler Cop. Who are you related to? I bet they know eachother. I am Pro Cops...unless they give me a ticket, lol. My excuse to be excused from Jury Selection was that I am a Defendent/Criminal already in a Law Suit (I'm not Not-Guilty, lol) so I don't think they would have picked me...lol. (remember my blog posts in Feb, lol) I need to call you back...and then I can further explain my case to you...lol. Talk soon.

Mary Postert said...

Carol, Carol, Carol. What am I going to do with you? Since I am a courtroom clerk and since I believe it is our civic duty for each one of us to take our turn doing jury duty, I SHOULD lecture you, but because you're pregnant with twins and extra emotional, I'll let you off this time. By the way, what was the judge's name? I probably know him.

Gail B said...

What a day! I really can't believe it especially cause your in your last tri with twins. Craziness.

Mary Postert said...

Carol, if it is tacky then I'm tacky too responding to your question you left on my blog. If he is black, skinny, and hilarious like you said he is, then the only one I can think of is Judge Larry Grant. And yes, he is hilarious and one of my most favorite judges.

the Painters said...

Ooooo I've gotta make this quick cause I'm heading out to get some Taco Bell....
jk.
I'm sorry you had to deal with this. Good thing it wasn't in the smack dab middle of Summer though right? remember, it could always be worse....ok you can slap me now.

Lopez-kids said...

Next time you get pulled over, trying peeing and tell the cop you think your water just broke. I think that would have totally worked! :-) You crack me up Carol! Always entertaining!

Papa Bear said...

I enjoy reading about your days whether they be from hell or heaven. Of course I root for the heavenly ones.
Having a daughter like you - priceless!

Sara! said...

Bless your heart! BTW, this was incredibly funny and maybe someday you'll be able to look back at it and laugh. Totally entertaining, I could have even done without the picture!

Last time I had jury duty I had it with a girl in my ward and would you actually believe it was fun?! We had a blast figuring out each person's situation in the group, and they let us go because we knew each other. Who knew that was a reason?

Jensen Family said...

hahahaha you n00b, thats all i have to say. oh and that sucks you had jury duty..i feel for ya, expecially being prego! sucks!!

Mrs. Buv said...

I don't know that guy that thinks you're tacky for dropping the "my bro's a cop" line...how else are we supposed to know?? Cops shouldn't be writing other cops family members tickets!!

Plus, now that I met the guy...he's a chunky slob and I don't like him!!

In 5 years I've written thousands of tickets...but I've only written a pregnant woman one time...and I still feel guilty - Kinda...(but I had to do it to win the contest...or I would have had to buy dinner for the whole squad)

Anywho...your day sucked...that cops a butt and you need to stop being so nice...have a hormonal breakdown or something next time you need out of: a) a ticket or b) jury duty!!

Another spa day was a good suggestion!!

Love ya!!

Your hottest cop cousin :)

Katie Smith said...

Wow, that is a crappy day. I'm not going to lie that the way you tell it is rather humorous, but still...sorry it sucked so bad. At least you don't have to be on the jury, right? Just trying to optimistic. :)

The Welker Family said...

You crack me up! You are still the same Carol that I knew! I had to catch up on your blog and I got really jealous of your fun life. Concerts and spas?? I need to get out more! P.S. You look amazing!

Marquita said...

Carol, you are sooo funny! Sorry about your rough day! Hope you're feeling well these days! Good luck!

Kara said...

You are freakin hilarious, Carol, no wonder all my friends like to go on your blog and read it. Why didn't you just send in your jury duty with pregnancy hardship in the first place? I hear ya about the ticket, I just got one the other day! I was so mad! Question for the day: Why is the speed limit on Hunt Highway, emphasizing HIGHWAY, only 35 mph, and on Rittenhouse, behind a neighborhood its 50? Needless to say, I was driving like 60 mph on Hunt Hwy, but I saw the cop and slowed to a mere 51. And of course, my baby that cries endlessly in the car every other day (hence my habitually excessive speed), was as happy as could be when the cop pulled me over, so I couldn't use that excuse. Oh well. You're such a good citizen, Carol. By the way, I had a lot of fun at your shower today... and I'm still going to hunt down the people that stole my prize.....