Friday, April 30, 2010

EARTH DAY 2010!

So Earth Day was last week. The kids all learn about it in school every year, they get pumped up about it, want to rush home and recycle, etc. This year was no different. Emma's class even made an Earth Day shirt to wear to school that day.When I opened the door after school to greet Emma she had a certain kind of look about her face where you just know something is bothering her. "Emma, what's the matter?" "I don't want to talk about it," she says very hastily. "Em, just tell me what's wrong." Here is where the flood gates open and the tears just come pouring out of her eyes and trying to control her uncontrollable voice she says, "no adults I know care about earth day. We are all going to wake up one day and the whole earth is going to covered in a big brown cloud or we will all be dead!" (ok so a laughed out loud just a bit - cause let's admit - a little drama here) "Emma, that's not true, adults care, we aren't going to die and we won't wake up to a big brown clouds covering us."

She takes off to her room to change for dance. She came out a little bit more calm and asked for a snack, I offered her a banana but she needed to know if they were organic! Well, no they weren't because that cost more money but being the good mom that I am, "yes, of course they are organic!" That cheered her up and made her happier.

Since then she has been quick to point out when we waste water, when we ask her to take garbage out to the trash can she makes sure to double check with us that nothing in there can be recycled and I make sure to point out anything in my house that says organic on it. I look forward to next year what Earth Day will bring us.

(My new favorite word that Elias says is "Gatorater" for Gatorade. Man I could eat that boy up!)

5 comments:

McB's said...

Well of course they are!!!! That made me and Danny laugh out loud! Hey, Danny says that for a gift for Emma you need to buy her a composte bin so you can use it for your garden, LOL.

taryn said...

Do you think this concern of Emma's will last for awhile? If so, you may REALLY have to start buying organic stuff.

gatorater... hehe :)

Lindsey said...

Abby went through a phase like that. And then, of course, this year, she leaves lights on, leaves water running, etc. etc. Hopefully it will live long with her! :)

Kara said...

ooohhh, I used to like Earth Day, or at least not really notice when it passed. But now my kids are turning off all the lights, going thru nasty garbage, telling me that we are going to ruin the earth... i wonder what political party their teachers belong to??

jenny said...

Some one has to keep us on our toes right?