Thursday, March 6, 2008

FINALLY, I AM 6 YEARS OLD!

What a day Emma had yesterday. At 7:15am her many birthday phone calls began from Uncle Bryant in Mexico, to the Fa'anunus in Chicago and all the way up to Aunt Ashley's second grade class from Utah. As soon as she saw her teacher at school she ran over to her and started naming the people who had called her to tell her happy birthday and then she says, "but you haven't told me happy birthday yet", luckily her teacher was able to fix that right away.

At Emma's school you cant bring in treats for your birthday because too many kids were only bringing in a few for their friends and leaving the rest of the class out and hurting their feelings so they did away with it but they are lucky enough to be able to go to the library and pick out a book for their teacher to read to the class that day (what lucky kids). So being the ever exciting/pushy/over bearing/whatever parent that I am, I emailed her teacher and told her that Emma would be bringing in a book to school that day about a girl who ate too many pink cupcakes and turned pink and what time would she like me to bring the pink cupcakes in for the class. That's right, I broke the rules and brought in cupcakes to school, muhahahaha!

At night, we took Emma to dinner and she requested we go to a place that sings Happy Birthday to people so Jared wanted to take her to Texas Roadhouse since they put them on the saddle. Every time the waitress would come over Emma would get frustrated with us because we didn't tell her that it was her birthday and she got a little startled and surprised when all of the sudden they round the corner and start clapping and shouting for her. She loved every second of the attention she got!

Literally for the last 2 or 3 years Emma has been asking to get her ears pierced and we always told her when she is 12 she can get them done (I don't know what makes 12 so special but its just some random year we picked) well when we realized we are only going to have 1 girl I decided to do anything girly she wanted and for her 6th birthday we were going to surprise her and get her ears pierced. At dinner she opened her present and saw the earrings and said, "why did you give me these when I don't have holes in my ears and I am not 12 yet....dad, can I get my ears pierced?" He of course says yes, and then she proceeds to ask me if its OK too, she hasn't quite figured out that you only check with the other parent when the first one says no :)

She hurried and ate her dinner so we could take her to get her ears done. She was totally stoked about it all night until we sat in the chair and the lady started cleaning her lobes and drawing the marks then that's when the nervousness set in.

She was a brave solider and didn't cry or get watery eyes and before she left the store she said it didn't hurt anymore and was as hyper and happy as could be. (this picture was right after she got them done so she is fighting to smile through her pain, ha ha).

This picture was cracking us up at dinner, it basically summed up Elias' day which was all about Emma. I am pretty sure he is thinking, "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!"

20 comments:

The Hawk's Prettiest Daughter said...

Woo Hoo first comment!! Happy Birthday Emma! Hope you had an awesome day! It's so cool that you didn't cry when you got your ears pierced. When I got mine done I cried so hard after the first one that I had to wait a couple of days to get the second ear done! Now the holes in my ears aren't even!

Brooke said...

happy birthday emma! laine just got her ears pierced too...and didn't cry either. we have brave girls!

rymiembeal said...

Great blog. I had older sisters so I knew about the asking the other parent in the case of a "no" pretty early on. Don't worry though, she'll teach the twins right away...

Allison Johnson said...

Your kids are so flippin cute! I can't believe how big they are! Could you even picture having a six year old when she was born?!?

Hadley Family Clan! said...

Happy Birthday Emma! I can't believe you already have a 6 year old. I LOVE her cute hair do in the pictures and what a fun birthday dinner too. She sounds like me when I was little letting everyone know about my birthday..oh wait I am still like that:) It's funny you said at the age 12 she can get her ears pierced because that's what age my parents said too. I did wait until then, but I figure when they are ready get em done:) I would totally figure out a way to bring treats to school too.. great job breaking the rules a bit.

Mary Postert said...

She is so dang cute. Love her hair.

Allison Johnson said...

We haven't gone yet. When is a good time for you and we can plan to do it then...

Sami McCann said...

Oh my god...that is funny! I can't believe she freaking got her ears pierced...now there's my little rebel!!!! LOL!!!! See you sat!

The Hawk's Prettiest Daughter said...

AHH Carol!! You like the Cullens too!!!! Aren't they like amazing? We HAVE to make Randi read The Twilight Series!

The Welker Family said...

Man, that sounds like it was the best birthday ever! I love that she loves all of the attention. I also love that you broke the school rule. I am all about breaking dumb rules like that! She is sure a cute little girl. I'll bet you will have another one :)

Mrs. Buv said...

I hope you passed on my birthday message to Emma...since you refused to answer your phone!! :)

You are the pushiest parent I know...and I can't wait to be just like you!!

Oh BTW...I think the kids at Emma's school are "lucky ducks" rather than "lucky kids" :)

Love ya buddy!!

Randi

p.s. have you stolen my purse?? :)

Katie Smith said...

Yeah! Happy Birthday to Emma. Serioulsy, could se be any cuter? Her hair is so adorable. Good styling Carol.

I have to say, however, that I am DYING right now looking at the picture of Elias. So dramatic! I love it.

I'm glad Emma had a great birthday. Oh, and I don't know what it is about the age of 12 that makes it the special "get your ears pierced age," but that's how old I had to be before I could get mine. Odd.

Mrs. Buv said...

Just one more comment on the very stylist hair and dress that emma has. Dang she is so cute! Takes after her mom I guess. Those great Rodgers genes.

I had to wait until I was 12 to get my ears peirced, which was much better than the original 18, but I had to go 30 days without telling my mom that I hated her. I guess I wasn't quite as nice then as I am now.

I am also glad that you had a big event so you could blog again.

I guess we'll read more on Easter.
BTW Egg Hunt @ REgina's @ 4 pm on the 22nd. Be there or be square (and ugly).

Ri

Anonymous said...

We took Riley there for her 6th birthday it was alot of fun. Congradulations on your twins that is so exciting. We need to get together soon!

Jensen Family said...

emma you look so pretty!!! she looks like a grown up now ;) way to be tough!! and poor elias... soon you will have little bros who will feel that way when its your bday :)

the Painters said...

I love it! That Emma, she is one powerhouse personality huh? Reminds me EXACTLY of me when I was her age. i even remember getting MY ears pierced for my 6th. She is darling. I'm so glad your only girl is a girly girl. Makes life fun!

Priceless Heritage said...

Happy Birthday Emma! Such a pretty girl you have! Love the hair and her ears pierced- you are a brave mama too! I'll tell Kendel she has to be 8 just cause I thought it would hurt too much- for the both of us. Elias' picture is so funny.

Kara said...

What an exciting birthday, Emma! Your Mom and Dad must really love you to do so many fun things for you! I love your be-u-tee-ful hair and pretty new earrings! You really are a princess. Maddy had a lot of fun at your princess tea party, she loves to spend time with you. Good job being so brave when you got your ears pierced! I love you!

Love, Aunt Kara

Missy said...

Carol...she is absolutely adorable! Happy WAY-Belated Birthday Emma! Congrats on the ears-pierce. I took my baby girls and did it when they were newborns....I KNOW, WORST MOM EVER!!! I was dying over the Marsha,Marsha, Marsha pic, so funny. Hope you are feeling good...let's see that belly!

bryant said...

congrats on the earrings emma! glad i was the first of many to call on your birthday. love, uncle bryant