This next portion is a letter to Eli. I am writing this to you, Eli, because I was told by a good friend that she did not test her son early to start kindergarten and he is now in jr high and is not happy about it and wants to be in the older grade but she still stands by her decision and I wanted you to know that some day if you get mad or frustrated with me, I did not make this decision lightly, I stressed over it, I cried over it, I got sick over it, I prayed over it, I changed my mind a bazillion times about it, I talked to numerous people about it, you get where I am going with this buddy.
Elias Grant, You mean the world to me buddy. You are the sweetest, most kind hearted kid I know. How you have grown leaps and bounds in the last 2 years and have completely changed from my unsocial, non-talker child to this boy who loves to chatter away to people and you make friends every where you go, even in the play area in Chick-fil-a, I love it and I love that about you.The decision to start you early in kindergarten was not an easy one. I had to weigh all the pros and cons to it. On one hand, all your friends were starting kindergarten this year and you would be the only one not doing it. On the other hand, keeping you back a year would give you an advantage when it comes to playing sports - theory has it - you will now be the bigger kid which is the advantage. Starting early would benefit you because you are so smart, I think you get bored a little bit at home and need more challenging things in your day to day life. Then again, waiting a year means your kindergarten year should be rather easy for you and you won't really struggle with it because you will know all of it by then. Do I start you early and then you have a year after high school before you mission, or do I wait a year and then you go straight from high school to a mission?! There were so many different scenarios running through my head. Some people told me I was thinking to far into the future and I just needed to worry about right now, but I thought what I did right now will affect your future so it was imperative that I made the right choice for you.
One Friday while your dad was in Oregon, I finished at the gym and I thought I had a few hours before nap time, it was time to nip this decision in the bud...I was going to take you and the twins around to all these different schools in the area and see about starting early, doing half days at charter schools, pulling you out of kindergarten early so you only went half day, repeating kindergarten twice, etc. With all 4 of us in tow, we headed out to 5 different schools and I went back to 2 of them so all in all I went to 7 schools with you boys. In between each school I would feed you boys a snack and call your dad and report what I had learned. Some times there were tears of frustration and not knowing what to do, sometimes I was angry at the school for wasting my time, sometimes I just cried because I was so stressed I couldn't even think straight. Daddy was always very calm and supportive of what I was thinking. It bugged me. I wanted him to get all fired up like I was, but that's not his style and we love him for that. Then I would call Grandma Rodgers and she would walk me through the thinking process and even get tips from some of her co-workers. They helped a little, but I was still stressed. The long day had finally come to an end and I mulled it all over during the weekend and we finally decided that we were going to keep you in preschool another year.
Two months later they decided to build a new school right by us and it sounded like it was going to be a perfect fit for you and your brothers. I went to the school meeting thinking this was the school and you would start early. I left the meeting that night thinking that school was not the perfect fit for us. Waiting one more year for you to start kindergarten was for sure what we were going to do. We loved your preschool, your teacher, you loved preschool and we were just at peace with the decision.
A couple days later I couldn't shake the fact that all your friends were starting this year and you were the only one not starting. Dad and I talked and prayed and I cried some more and we are finally firm in our decision to wait another year. We can't really explain why that is. We can say all the simple answer like, waiting a year for boys is always better, you will be bigger for sports, you can graduate and go straight on a mission, boys mature slower than girls so you will be fine, blah blah blah...but what it really comes down to Elias is that sometimes, you just don't know exactly why you make the decision that you make right now. Perhaps some day down the road we will know, but for now we just trust in Heavenly Father and we know that we are doing what is right for you. We love you more than anything and we would do anything for you. Please understand that someday if you are upset that we held you back, we didn't do this to make you angry, we truly did what we thought was best for you. We love you buddy!
Love,
Mom
7 comments:
That letter was beautiful. What a hard choice. You are a great mom.
Ethan was 1 day past the cutoff 8/31 for the school by us. The charter school let him in since their cut off is 9/1. I went back and forth also forever but decided to put him in anyway. He has been doing great! I don't know if any of the school told you but the state passed a law that if your child starts kindergarten early (birthday after 8/31) and you have to hold him back a year, you have to pay for the 2nd year of kindergarten. The state will not pay for 2 years. Only you and Jared know if he is ready or not!
I think you guys made the best choice. I held Nolan back a year. His bday is aug 24th. He is one of the biggest kids in his class and not to toot my childs horn but is pretty smart and excels in most areas. He was bored at home but I put him in preschool 3 days a week and he became my little buddy. I love the idea that he is older than the kids in his class and that he will go straight on his mission after high school. so great choice! love ya tons!
Carol what a sweet post. Your son Eli seems like such a sweet boy. I know you made the right choice because your an amazing mother and when you pray and really ponder about a decision the right one will be made. Mariyah is an October birthday and we feel that the choice we made was right and she waited a year and it's been great.
oh the things we stress out about when we have children, lol! i feel your pain, not all of it cuz i don't have to worry about missions and stuff but i totally get that whole thing, we went through it too :) i'm glad you figured it out, you are a good mommy no matter what you chose. sweet letter to Eli :)
Thanks for sharing your letter. I cried all the way through it. I think I needed it too.
Good choice. Cade's mom started him early and both she and Cade have forever regretted it. Plus, who cares if Eli's friends are starting school. He's going to go through tons of friends between now and high school, starting with a new set of friends as soon as he does start school.
Post a Comment