Monday, September 28, 2009

BLACK DIAMOND PINETOP 10K

Ok so even though the race was technically called "Cool Runnings Pinetop 10k" I believe someone referred to it as the Black Diamond (a ski hill term) of 10k's because the course was so hard. Beautiful course, loved running next to the pine trees and the smell of the pine trees, loved the smells permeating from the road kill, loved the "hills" at the beginning, didn't even mind inhaling all the car fumes along the road either but man oh man once you rounded that corner just after mile 4 everything changed. I believe as we rounded the corner at the same time Stephanie said, "Oh Carol!" I said, "Oh $H!*!" (sorry Mom and Dad).Ok so to start at the beginning...13 of us headed out Friday afternoon about 4pmish. We caravanned up to Pinetop to stay at our Bishop's house up there. We stopped and Chevron and took a few pictures and had a good little stretch and learned that the other car made fun of our car for our luggage rack on top - I think they were jealous though that we weren't all squished! (Maggie, Stefney, Me, Amber, Natalie, Lisa, Lauren, Kati, Tiffany, Stephanie, Tisha and not pictured Kalie and Lindsey)After that few minute stop we headed up to Showlow to eat dinner. It was a Mexican Restaurant which made a few of us nervous because you know about eating things that make you go #2 before a big race!After dinner we finally made it all the way to Tiffany's house. How cute is our Bishop that he had a huge bowl of candy there for us and a fridge full of waters and G2's! We all stayed up for a while chit chatting and then finally decided it was time to go to sleep. In the morning we got up and headed out for the big race. It wasn't nearly as cold as I thought it would be. I heard last year it was 20 degrees so this year the 48 degree weather was a welcomed surprised.How do you describe the "hill"?! Any words would do an injustice to this Mount Everest we had to run. Thank you Coach Davis for teaching us to take little steps up a hill when running it, I did that and well, eventually I made it to the top - it may have been a walking speed but I "ran" it none-the-less. My goal was to finish the race having ran the whole thing. After the first 3 miles and how fast we were going I wanted to finish it under an hour (knowing that on flat ground in Chandler at that speed we could have finished it in less than 50 minutes easy!!). I finally finished it at 1 hour and 11 seconds...blast that 11 seconds! I am going to put the blame on the 7200 foot elevation we were running in and the freaking hills :)After the race we went to Eddie Basha's Country Store and had a fabulous breakfast; french toast, egg and bacon and gaining back all the weight we had just lost.It was a great weekend and I can't wait to beat my time next year. Thank you Tiffany for planning this and letting us all come and crash your place! You're the best!

And to you my dear shoes...Thank you for taking me on many miles of running. We were a great team together. You helped me train for my first half, for my first official 10k and you have been with me every time I needed you since I got you Christmas day 2006 (oops, a long time I know!)Please understand I left you behind in Pinetop with a grateful heart!

15 comments:

Danika said...

Aha! That's where everyone was instead of the Women's Broadcast on Saturday. Guess I need to take up running so I can have more friends in this ward! :) Too bad I hate running...

It was fun to see you at McD's this morning. I need to send my sis-in-law over to you & Stephanie - she just had twins. You guys are pros! I realized halfway home I didn't even say goodbye - sorry!

Anonymous said...

Soooooo what did you do with yer shoes???? Left them behind?????

Jensen Family said...

ok can i just say you are crazy! how do you run that much? man i wish!! good job girl!!

McB's said...

So I go to Tiffany's to drop off some cash and she's laughing asking if I saw your blog. Nope, not yet so I had to come straight to my computer when I got home. This is hilarious and such a good story to define all what we went through and were feeling!! LOL. Can't wait until next year. We should take up smoking first so we can practice that same "my lungs are coming out of my chest" feeling so we'll be more prepared!

Unknown said...

Perfect way to describe the hill! Black Diamond for sure! You know you have a special feeling in your heart today because you did something really hard. Good job!

It's My Life said...

You are my amazing hero! You rock my world and sounds like all of Pine Tops too!

one love. <3 said...

good job! it is so hard to run in a high elevation! im still getting used to it!

Jen H. said...

You are a rock star!

Kristi Moody said...

Good job!! I loved reading about this and seeing all of the pics. Sounds like I missed a great time..maybe next year! Good work

Melinda said...

You should have called me! I only live 30ish minutes from pinetop! I would have come and cheered you on! You are amazing!

taryn said...

for some reason, the picture where you're licking your plate looked to me like you were licking the bottom of your shoe and i was really grossed by you. glad that wasn't the case!

good job on the run! after this baby i'll be surprised if i can run 1/4 mile without passing out.

Anonymous said...

PS - I also totally thought you were licking your shoe the whole time too. I only realized you were NOT after reading Taryn's comment. Ha Ha - I'm so blind??!!

jmelyn said...

Hey look at all those gals that think running is fun. What the heck! I feel like such a loaner not being a running gal. I am coming next time to be the official cheering squad. And why did you leave your shoes there again? Did you bury them, have a ceremony? Way to kick butt Carol!

Kara said...

Carol you are so awesome! Especially uphill girl, you are crazy. I always put the elevation on the treadmill at a big fat 0. No uphills for me! Not yet anyway... I hope to be as awesome as you someday. ;)

Kara said...

ps i thought you were licking your shoe, too... your plate looked like a black shoe with blue stripes. thought youd like to know.